Friday, April 15, 2005

A Wadhwani on Campus!

Lavish Wadhwani

Given our strong sense of familial unity, a Wadhwani's campus life may seem difficult to really fathom. So when push came to shove last September, I have to admit I was a tad nervous of leaving behind the creature comforts of home, even though I was buoyed on by the recent positive experiences of other Wadhwanis currently living the campus life (in the US). However, I soon found that there was nothing to be afraid of!

Within a few days I discovered that the Wadhwani's campus life isn't too far a cry from the good ol' fashioned Wadhwani wedding (speaking of which, someone please get married already- it's been too long since we all congregated together!) With the never-ending supply of alcohol and continued jovial banter every night (not to mention the heartfelt singing that followed hours later), I soon felt as if I was back at another Wadhwani get-together, minus the table-banging and use of glassware as musical instruments.

Contrary to previous exaggerated reports, no such racism exists at the campus where I'm currently at- in fact, a strong Asian community prevails, which means that its not uncommon on some nights to have Hindi classics of all eras belted out through the speakers. From the more classic sounds of ''Jab Koi Baat'' to more modern works, such as those of our very own Sanjeev (''DJ Don'') every song gets the full dancefloor treatment- again, another similarity to Wadhwani weddings. So my advice to the current young'ns coming up- don't hesitate to head outta town for college when the time comes along. The irony is that while you might be on a campus, you'll feel right at home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home